Tuning Invention Idea

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 22:25:51 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Les Smith <lessmith@buffnet.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Saturday, October 11, 1997 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: Tuning Invention Idea

>All this talk about inventing a device to tune pianos when interfaced
>with a computer misses the obvious answer. George Steck spent the last
>years of his life trying to invent a piano that would stand in tune in-
>definitely. Unfortunately, he died before coming upon the solution to
>the problem that I have. Simply tune the piano once and then WELD the
>pins to the plate! Those babies will surely never slip again.

I thought this was going to be another tongue in cheek but I guess Les is
serious.  Well, I am still new at this stuff (feel free to jump all over me
if I am wrong)  but it is my understanding that pianos go out of tune NOT
because the pins move in the pinblock so much as the soundboard absorbs and
expels moisture from the surrounding air, thereby throwing out the tunings
in one fell swoop!

Glenn.