Steinway keyboards

Eric Leatha tunrboy@teleport.com
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:16:43 -0700

>Eric;
>  You wrote the following which made me think of anopther passage from
>Gibran.
>
>" "Work is love made visible.  And if you cannot work with love but only
>with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the
>gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy."
>-Kahlil Gibran
>tunrboy@teleport.com"
>

> I wonder if Gibran was conflicted because he also said:
>
>"A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more
>than much knowledge that is idle."
>-Kahlil Gibran
>
>  So I suppose that you could say that one whos loves naught but himself and
>serves only himself, by begging alms, is not as valuable as those who might
>work without love but rather to produce for others as well as themselves and
>thereby displays the love that it is professed they do not have.
>Just a thought.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Actually, I thought the quote you grabbed there is far more concise than
the one I lifted.  It speaks to me that one who puts his will in motion is
of far more worth than one who pontificates to no one.  Kind of like an
armchair philosopher with the best intentions and an individual such as
Mother Theresa.  Reactive versus proactive.  Proactive wins, hands down.

Thank you Jim for noticing my sig line.  I shall now have to find another.
For now we'll have to make due with the old standby, Robert Pirsig...

A side note.  Greg Frank of Yamaha replied to a question I had and ended it
with "Do you know of any good temples?"  I didn't get it until the next day
when I glanced up at the wall in my office and saw Gibran's words.  Good
one, Greg.

Eric Leatha, RPT
Portland, OR
tunrboy@teleport.com
"So the thing to do when working on a piano, as in any other task, is to
cultivate the peace of mind which does not seperate one's self from one's
surroundings.  When that is done successfully, then everything else follows
naturally.  Peace of mind produces right values, right values produce right
thoughts.  Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce
work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity
at the center of it all."
-Robert M. Pirsig