Thus spoke Zarathoustra

Michel Lachance chance@InterLinx.qc.ca
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 21:27:35 +0000

Robert Scott wrote:

> How about using a pipe organ with the piano?  Don't they have
> zero inharmonicity?  If you tuned middle C to a pipe that was
> rich in harmonics, then the partials of the piano string would
> beat with the harmonics of the pipe.
>
> Bob Scott

Have you ever heard Richard Strauss Overture Also sprach Zarathoustra
(2001 Odyssey Theme...)?  What strikes me everytime I hear it, no matter
what version, is that flat sounding organ when left alone after the
orchestra was holding a full blast C major chord at the end.  Is it
because the orchestra pitch tends to go slightly up when playing a
triple forte? Or is it because all these organs have been tuned by the
same tuner?

Michel Lachance