Grotrian specs

Willem Baijs 113345.1203@CompuServe.COM
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 15:32:51 -0400

Hi Ron,

A little suggestion from the other side of the ocean.
In my opinion (I don't have Grotrian specs, we sell 'em a lot, though)
you should do it the Stein-way-way.
As a matter of fact, on a Steinway grand, the left string is supposed
to sound very, very, very little. (If you ever have to tune for Alfred
Brendel,
make shure you do it perfecly like this!)
You have to lift every hammer, with the left pedal depressed.
Then pluck the left sting (dampers raised ofcourse), it should produce
a little flageolet-like tone.
I usually work on S&S grands (Hamburg made), and I think a Grotrian
should also be handled like a German S&S ( I mean seriously, there's
nothing like a D,
and that's the standard)
Also, when you do this job, make sure the hammers are 1/3 on the left,
and 2/3 on the right.

Like so:

                O       O       O       -Strings

                1/3                           2/3
                l                                   l
                l                                   l
                l       Hammer                      l

This way, you can voice very nice in between the "striking pionts" for the
shift pedal voicing.

Regards,

Willem Baijs
Holland