damper spoon problem

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 14:03:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997 BSimon1234@aol.com wrote:

> In a message:
>
> <<<< I would use CA glue, any type.  Use an accelerate and you can adjust the
>  spoon immediately.>>
>
> My advice - don't use too much accelerant or the spoon will lift too soon.
>
> In one piano in Tucson the technician mixed up the tubes and used 90%
> accelerant and 10% CA glue on a spoon replacement.  This caused the damper to
> lift a fraction of a second before the key was struck, causing sympathetic
> syncopation with notes played earlier.

I think that MAYBE you're confusing accelerant wih hardener. Epoxy glue
comes in two tubes, resin and hardner, which can be mixed in varying
proportions depending upon how fast you want it to set. My CA glue comes
in small plastic bottles. Likewise my accelerant or "kicker" comes in a
small spray bottle. You can readily distinguish epoxy from CA glue with
the following test. If you sniff the glue and nothing happens,it's epoxy;
if you sniff the glue, fall to the floor and come to five minutes later,
wondering where you are and what you name is, it's CA! :)

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net