Sherman Clay "grand"

Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:08:07 -0700

John,

If they have a boat,  they're looking at the perfect
anchor.  Just a modest amount of storage issues
on deck.

They should run, not walk, to the nearest exit.

Unless, of course, the intent is to have a somewhat
expensive picture stand...

Actually, there is quite a bit that can be done, if one
wants to spend the time.  Polyester on walnut is
actually probably DaeWoo (world's largest builder
of machine guns).

If that's the case, plan on doing quite a bit of case work to fix the
fallboard issues.

As to "stiff" sounding, these things are not noted for wonderful boards,
decent crown or bearing - or, now that I think of it - string length.
I'd check all of the above, then make sure that the plate bolts are
not too tight (they break easily), before moving on to trying to
do anything with the hammers.

The action centers are irregular and generally too tight, and the
felt is loose-weave enough that I'd suggest burnishing rather
than reaming.  Also, you may have to plane the "keybed" in order
to get the "keyframe" to stop slapping, in case it hasn't started
_that_ little trick already.  Don't try for real regulation, just, as
Franz jokes, make all the klunkers klunk with the parts that
are supposed to go up and down going up and down and not
too much side to side.  Watch out also for the flange setup
holding the damper tray in place...

When all of that is done, then spend some time on the hammers.
Most of these things have way too much tension throughout, and
require a pretty hard hammer to get any "tone" at all.  I feel like
the best I have ever been able to do with one was to make it
somewhat less egregiously annoying by the time I was done, compared
to when I started.

These are, for me, the high points of the design and service issues.
The polyester is shiny though - as someone once said:

	"Nobody finishes pianos like we do."

Gee, Dad, it's not a Wurlitzer - and, I'd rather be in Philadelphia.

Best, and heading for the tram...

Horace

At 11:28 AM 10/17/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear List:
>	I just examined the first Sherman Clay "grand" that I have ever
>seen.  Length - 60"  Serial # none that I could find (maybe they were
>ashamed to put one on it). The only ID that I could find was the number
>6311 which was cast right into the plate in the tuning pin area.
>Couldn't find a serial # anywhere on it.  I assume that the 6311 was a
>model # and that the manufacturer wasn't casting serial numbers.
>	Who really made this instrument???????  Yam, Samick ?????  Finish
>is polished polyester on walnut.
>	"Piano" sounds really stiff. Fallboard support pegs are either
>too short or the recesses for the peg plates have been cut too deep so
>that either the bass or treble ends fall off the brass receivers and onto
>the keys.  Stretcher is cracked.  In general to call it a "PSO"  might be
>giving it more credit than it deserves.
>	What can you tell me about Sherman Clay as a client of mine ( who
>is considering purchasing the instrument - and who I am trying to talk
>out of buying it ) would like to know what info you can provide.
>
> 	Thanks in advance.
>

>John Fortiner
>
> pianoserv440@juno.com

Horace Greeley