Piano On Ice.+

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 06:43:31 -0500

Dear Bill,
I used to tune for a large hotel in their lounge here.  I would usually get
there about 8am in the morning.  On most tunings there (every 2 weeks) the
temperature on my little Radio Shack humidity - temperature gauge would be
reading in the low 60's  degrees and about 80% humidity.  On the gauge it
actually displayed "wet".  I got in the habit of looking up for storm
clouds above.  Cold and clammy.
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"Take me through the darkness to the break of the day"

----------
> From: Maxpiano@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Piano On Ice.
> Date: Sunday, October 19, 1997 5:59 AM

> <<  I had always assumed that the relative
>  humidity approached 0% as the temperature dropped below freezing since
any
>  moisture that had been in the atmosphere would be frozen and thus
removed
> from
>  its vaporous state.  >>
>
> Relative humidity is just that:  relative.  As opposed to absolute
humidity.
>  It is a percentage relative to the amount the air could hold at a given
> temperature.  Since air will hold more water as the temperature goes up,
and
> less as the temperature goes down, the relative humidity increases as the
> temperature goes down.  The reason water runs out of an air conditioner
is
> that in the cold interior of the device the percentage has reached
100(%),
> not 0%, and the excess moisture drops out.
>
> I speak from a relatively uneducated perspective, just observation.
Perhaps