Different Cultures/Foreign Techs.+

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 06:47:15 -0500

Dear Barrie,
You really have some fierce competition statistics.  In order for you all
to survive someone is doing their homework and their must be a lot higher
proportion to people and pianos than over here.  Good for you.
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"Take me through the darkness to the break of the day"

----------
> From: Barrie Heaton <Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Different Cultures/Foreign Techs.
> Date: Sunday, October 19, 1997 6:13 AM
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> I agree its all to do with your client base, mine is predominantly the
> beginner student passed on from music teachers.  These clients tend to
> be children who the parents are footing the bill, getting them to have
> their pianos tuned on a six monthly basis is a challenge.
>
> The few professional pianoists and music teachers I have on my round are
> pampered and I agree there is always something to do on their pianos as
> they are played heavy and hard.
>
> In the U.K. your costomers tend to be on a six year cycle, parents
> decide that their children should learn the piano this happens around
> the age of 9 and 10 when the child reaches 16 he or she will be entering
> higher education and the parents always say well the piano isn't been
> p[layed as much so we will leave the tuning I will get in contact with
> you.  This type of client is not as appreciative of a full service type
> appointment they are more interested in the cost at present I charge the
> highest standard fee, but I feel I provide a more fuller service for
> that fee.  My colleagues in the area vary from just a few pounds cheaper
> to as much as fifty per cent cheaper there are 23 + piano tuners in a 15
> mile radius,so competition is quite healthy.
>
> >       Barry, I'll be going to England next week. Where exactly do you
> >live? Perhaps we could get together (email me privately).
> That would be nice I will email you.
>
> Barrie
>

> In article <Pine.A41.3.95b.971018111551.82682A-100000@homer23.u.washingt
> on.edu>, "S. Brady" <sbrady@u.washington.edu> writes
> >       I seem to get the "wow" response after each visit, even after
> >having the client for several years. My customers are happy with my
> >approach, and I am not losing business to others, even though there are
> >those in our area who charge half what I do. I'm sure our difference in
> >perception about this has to do with the type of clients, the types of
> >pianos, where we live, and perhaps other factors as well. Maybe this
> >approach won't work for everyone, everywhere, but it works very well for
> >me.
> >       Barry, I'll be going to England next week. Where exactly do you
> >live? Perhaps we could get together (email me privately).
> >
> >All best,
> >       Steve
> >

> >Steve Brady, RPT
> >University of Washington
> >Seattle, WA
> >

> --
>
> Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally
Friendly