Repinning advice

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 17:15:02 -0600

At 04:19 PM 10/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear list:  Next week I will put a new set of Mapes bass strings in a
>1924 S&S L.
 Does anyone know if the Garfield treatment and
>varnished pins is a compatible ooperation?

Travis,
	Don't think that the varnish will help at all, for the oversize pin bit.

 Or should I just go with
>Garfields as a pin driving fluid for 0000 pins and forget the varnish?

That's exactly what I would do, remembering to thin the Garfields a bit
with methanol.

>I have an idea I will get a variety of opinions which will be very
>interesting. Frankly, I would prefer replacing string pairs as I remove
>them, and pull them up to pitch before going to the next pair.

That's also the way I prefer to do it, when I can. You might also consider
turning the new pins in, instead of driving. There's pros and cons for both
methods, though. I think that turning allows more of the fluid to remain in
the walls of the block. Driving creates new little wood teeth in the sides
of the hole, that can help torque.

Good luck!

Guy

Guy Nichols, Member, PTG
nicho@lascruces.com

              "Not everything that counts can be counted,
               and not everything that can be counted counts."
				                          Albert Einstein