A treble in trouble

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Sun, 26 Oct 97 11:12:34 -0000

Ted Simmons wrote:

>Andre and list,
>   Perhaps you can help me with this problem.  I service a Steinway M that
>was reconditioned with new pinblock, strings, hammers, etc. by a reputable
>rebuilder whose credentials are immaculate.  The piano is in a Church. The
>rebuilders are located an hour's drive from me and I am their technician in
>this area.
>   Each time I show up for a tuning I have to give the piano a pitch raise
>because it is at least 8 cents or more flat.  I tuned it not quite 2 months
>ago and 2 days ago it was 7.8 cents flat.  It has received 8 tunings since
>its reconditioning.  Other pianos rebuilt by this firm that I have serviced
>have held pitch very well.  No problems.  I suspected the problem to be
>plate flange to pinblock fit but the rebuilder

André writes back:

Ted and other colleagues,
I am afraid I can not properly help in this case. I will explain why:
First of all, I do mainly regulation, tuning and voicing.
The problem you described refers to more basic piano construction like rast, soundboard, ribs, frame and stringing.
However, if one thinks about it clearly, one would assume that the person who did the restringing and the positioning of the frame would certainly have made certain that a/ the frame is firmly bolted down, and b. that the strings are the right ones and are properly put in their place.
So, from quite a distance, I would first check the climat conditions (humid? dry?), and we must not forget that most factories give their instruments at least 5-7 tunings. When these instruments arrive at their final destination in the customers home, their pitch is usually too low..around 438 Hz.
So probably the temperature and the humidity changes caused this instrument to change dramatically and it needs some time to stabilize.
Another possibillity is that the M came from a relative bad climat (it is always too dry in winter and probably too humid in summer). In that case it good be that the Rast, the wooden frame comes apart and this might cause instability too.
Finally, the making of a healthy pinblock is work for experts and I would strongly reccommand that you ask experts like Jim Coleman, Jim Bryant, Joel Rappaport, Jon Page, Newton Hunt, Charles Ball (there are so many skilled techs overthere! so forgive me for not mentioning everybody, after all, I live here..in Amsterdam) for more specific advise.
What you could do as well, is keep track of the numbers..I mean, note down the Hz number before and after each tuning, and take a look at the humidity gauge (or whatever you call that thing in English) and write that down too!
It helps because usually the instrument will get stable, but unfortunately sometimes only after a long period. I know what I am talking about, that's why I keep records of treated instruments.

I would appreciate it if you will tell us about the further development of that Steinway.

Friendly greetings from :

CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
André Oorebeek
Amsterdam, the Netherlands