Pinblock Epoxy Help

Bonifield/Poulson bonifarm@oro.net
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 12:01:57 +0000

Avery:  A couple of things come to mind.  I did a similiar repair a
couple of years ago, and the pins are still holding fine.  As per advice
from Bill Spurlock, here is what I did.
	1.  I used regular epoxy, not the 5 minute stuff.
	2.  I mixed in a lot of maple sawdust to give the epoxy some body.
	3.  I filled the holes with the mix, working it down with a dowel to be
sure that the hole was completely filled.  I taped the bottom so that no
glue would leak out.
	4.  I let the epoxy set up over night.  I then centerpunched to hole,
drilled down with an undersized drill bit, and then followed that with
the appropriate sized drill bit.
	5.  I then replaced the strings and pins.  The torque and feel was like
new, and has held well ever since.
	I think that adding the wood shavings or sawdust and the use of regular
epoxy is crucial to this type of repair.  Patrick Poulson, RPT