Loose pins

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 19:13:38 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Leslie W Bartlett wrote:

> Dear List:
> 	Opinions please.   The piano is a Samick, about ten years old,
> with half a dozen pins in the bass which are loose, three or four or
> which hardly will hold a tune.
> 	Would you
> 		1) replace the pins with larger ones,
> 			or
> 		2) epoxy the holes and drive the original pins,
> 			or
> 		3) other ?

The quickest way would be to replace the really loose pins with larger
ones. As Avery will tell you, it takes a while for the epoxy to set.
However, if the block is already going after only ten years, I think
that I'd also CA every other pin in the piano, recognizing that it's
likely that further problems will arise down the road. Must have had
an old Horugel pinblock sitting around the factory, huh? :)

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net