Do you know this Man ???????

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 19:34:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Mark Story wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> That's what I thought at first too, however when I checked it out, I
> determined otherwise.
>
> Here's a quote from page 102-103:
>
> "The second method is called "bend and kink."  With this method the tuner
> tries to avoid turning the tuning pin.  Instead, he sets the string in
> motion as outlined previously, and by lifting on the pin, attempts to bring
> the string up through the pressure points.  He then slightly lowers the
> overall tension by bearing outward on the handle of the tuning lever so as
> to lower the pin into the bottom of the tuning pin hole.  By avoiding tuning
> pin wrenching, tuners prolong the life of the pin block, and, if successful
> in lifting the string, should establish a rather firm tuning."

"IF" successful in lifting the string, "SHOULD" establish a "RATHER" firm
tuning. It sounds like there's enough balogna in THAT sentence to feed a
family of four in a third world country for  MONTH! The most important
piece of advice the learned doctor left out when advocating this tuning
technique was to inform any tech using it to ALWAYS GET PAID IN CASH! The
reason is simple: such a tuning won't last long enough for a check to
clear!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net