Plate break after restringing

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 19:40:13 -0600

Warren,

Stricken by the horror of horrors . . .

Warren Fisher wrote:

> 1. What is my liability in this situation?

Since Louisiana is under Napolianic law rather that British common law like
the rest of the 49 states, the rest of us will be hard pressed to offer any
real advice.  But since I never let a small thing like incompetence get in
my way and my wife did a 3 year tour as a commercial casualty adjuster,
here goes:  Your liability is basically whatever you accept.  If he takes
you to court, however, then you would have to prove that you were not
negligent.  Our experiences in Louisiana courts has been that the little
guy wins and the big bad businessman was out to get him.  (Of course,
you're not a Texas based insurance company.)  Inspect the plate closely.
On several breaks, I've seen evidence of paint on the surface of the broken
area indicating that there was a crack at the time the plate was sprayed at
the factory.

Did you have a disclaimer on the contract form that the customer signed
when you took the job?  I attended a mini-tech 3 or 4 years back and Wim
Blees gave out copies of his contract with disclaimer.  It's one of those
things we wish weren't necessary, but it only takes once.

Perhaps Wim would share that form again if anyone is interested.

> 2. How much does plate repair cost usually?

Depends on how "right" you do it.  If it's put in an oven and brought to
temperature (about 900 deg. F.) kept there during welding, then stress
relieved, it could go $500-$750.  Is Avondale still in business?  Any of
the big shipyards there should be able to do it for you.  I don't have any
experience with welding cast iron with less prep - perhaps others do.

> 3. I have over a thousand dollars worth of labor in this turkey already.
> Will I be able to collect any of it if the plate can't be repaired.

Is that covered in your rebuilding contract?  No?  Then it'll be virtually
impossible to collect.

> 4. How would you handle the customer?

Well, you could pour a bucket of ice water on her/him to revive her/him
after (s)he passes out on your floor.

If that doesn't work, have the customer over to your shop, show them
exactly what has happened, explain that it was probably a factory defect as
a result of porosity or perhaps a defective plate design - whatever you
honestly think happened.  Explain their options (attempted repair or
garbage dump), including the additional cost of the job as a result of
unstringing/re stringing, plate removal, etc., and ask for their input.
When faced with the additional costs, it may change their outlook on the
piano.  The actual welding is cheap compared to what you have to go through
to get it to the welder.  Basically, total honesty and getting the customer
involved as soon as possible is more likely to have her/him shoulder the
responsibility of trying to have an old piano reconditioned.  Remember, it
is their instrument and they were the ones who decided to recondition an
oldie rather than buy a new one.

Sorry it happened.  Get a double dose of humor tonight - you'll need it.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter