Loose pins

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:46:13

At 10:51 PM 10/28/97 -0500, you wrote:

><< 	Opinions please.   The piano is a Samick, about ten years old,
> with half a dozen pins in the bass which are loose, three or four or
> which hardly will hold a tune.
>  >>
>To the List,
              Re: Samick loose tuning pins,10 to 15yr Vintage. The other
problem besides bad drilling quality control, is the nickle plated tuning
pins. If you examine them closly you will find two problems. 1. hardly any
thread on them.2. the threads are not blued. time you put all the problems
together the only long term solution is to hand ream and repin with OOO, I
have encountered the same problems with Young Chang's of the same era.
  Just an after thought!
Roger Jolly
>Les -
>
>As I wrote in a missive to someone else lately, I think that the basic
>problem is probably due to a poor quality pinblock to start with. I have
>several of this vintage Samick built pianos in my client file. (I know, I
>know, I'm sorry too!) Almost every one of them from that era has pins that
>are loose. As a stop-gap method, I would try the CA glue method, but
>eventually (probably sooner than later) you will need to prepare them for a
>new pinblock. At the same time, rescale the bass to a lower tension. Both you
>and the customer will be much happier with the sound.
>
>John Elving, RPT
>San Leandro, CA
>JElving@aol.com

Roger Jolly