loose pins

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 01:37:20 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Leslie W Bartlett wrote:

> Dear list:
>
> Well, I called Mr Garten at Samick, who indicated the piano is probably
> NOT under warranty. The piano #500,xxx  was likely made in 83-83,
> according to him. However the Pierce Piano Atlas indicates the number
> #104,xxx was 1988.  Can't imagine the holy bible of piano dating could be
> incorrect.......................
>
> Anyhow, his suggestion was using a sandpaper shim. He said, "Sometime in
> the next ten to twenty years, the piano will need to be repinned......."
> which I didn't like to hear at all..  Then he backed off a bit.  He isn't
> familiar with the "CA fix".
>
> Perhaps someone really erudite and  loquatious should deliver a proper
> panegyric on the topic to Mr Garten.  Of course, I do hope that rascal,
> Mr Bryant is taking notice. For myself, I guess the CA thing is the way
> to go.
>
> Thanks for the discussion on the issues.  I do HOPE that we're not
> looking at a bad pinblock or one with lubricant-creep.

Impressive. Really. The old "sandpaper shims in the ten-year-old pin-
block" fix. Maybe Samick sould just include a packet of sandpaper with
each new piano. You know, just in case. And put your mind at ease, the
problem has NOTHING to do with a bad block, faulty drilling, or lubri-
cant creep. In fact, it all boils down to one thing: BAD TUNING TECH-
NIQUE. By now everyone knows that actually turning the tuning pins in
their holes while tuning the piano wears out the block and leads to pre-
mature failure, for which the manufacturer obviously cannot be held lia-
ble. The proper technique involves lifting the string and bending the
pin twice. First, you bend the pin a little too much to make the string
sharp, then you bend it again in the opposite direction to ease the string
down a bit. Those uninformed techs, who, out of ignoraance, having been
employing faulty tuning techniques ( some of them for DECADES) which are
obviously taking their toll on Samick's superior pinblocks are encouraged
to read Dr. Steven's book  on tuning and servicing which was recently
discussed here. Schlock tuners are making Samick look bad!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net