Last Three Strings

Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 06:20 -0500 (EST)

     Dear List,

     I am restringing a York 1919 full upright piano.  While removing the
     old strings I came across something that puzzles me.  The lower
     stretch of the treble steel tri-strings are all 20 gauge except for
     the last three strings.  These three go back a gauge to 19.  The piano
     strings were original from manufacturer and the factory technician
     clearly marked with pencil on the edge of the bridge that this is so.

     I thought string scales were progressive.  I head back first thing in
     the morning to finish stringing so will be done before many of your
     comments come in. All the same, I am curious what you all have to
     share?  Is this an isolated incident?  Would you go back with 19 or
     20?  I will go back with 20 and change it later if I see I am wrong.

     Thanks much,

     Glen

     Glen and Ruth Deligdisch
     P.O. Box 248