Req info: key dip/carpal syndrome

Tue, 02 Sep 1997 07:16:40 -0700

Rolland Miller wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> About ten years ago I read/heard some opinions that a shallow key dip could lead
> to muscular problems at the players finger joints and hands.
>
> Does anyone remember or know if the muscular problems were believed to be a
> result of shallow key dip itself, or if they were believed due to the lack of
> aftertouch?
>
> This is in regard to the Steinway B of earlier posts. I may have to reduce the
> key dip to shallower than 3/8" to get the regulation to work out.  I want to
> make sure I don't leave the customer with a potential physical problem.
>
> Thanks again!!!
> Rolland Miller, 70642,3604@compuserve.com

Rolland,

If the action is otherwise functioning correctly, I've never had a
customer complain about having the keydip too shallow. Too deep, yes.

If this action requires a key dip of less than 3/8" with a hammer blow
of 44 mm (a shy 1- 3/4") it has some serious leverage problems. (What is
the key leading like?) It might be time to call in someone with
experience in dealing with action geometry problems.

--ddf