Req info: key dip/carpal syndrome

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 10:50:27 -0400

> This is in regard to the Steinway B of earlier posts. I may have to
reduce the
> key dip to shallower than 3/8" to get the regulation to work out.  I want
> make sure I don't leave the customer with a potential physical problem.

This is very thoughtful of you.  I think the best way to procede from here
is to work very closely with the customer.  What is most comfortable for
the customer may be different than what is most comfortable for you.  Even
when you get the action functioning correctly, there is often room for
customizing the comfort of the action for that particular customer.

I have to confess that I do not know as much as I should about carpal
tunnel problems, but I do know at least for myself that I don't like a
shallow key dip, especially if there is insufficient aftertouch.  My sense
is that the jarring of the innards of the hands when the keys bottom out
prematurely is what gives rise to the problems, especially when it takes
considerable force to make the keys play in the first place.

Once I was asked to prep 2 identical Yamaha pianos on a salesfloor for
customer approval.  We all know how incredibly consistent Yamahas are.  I
deliberately gave one piano a little more aftertouch than the other, just
so the customer will have some differences to contemplate.  Otherwise, both
pianos had fully-functioning actions.  Indeed, the customer preferred one
of the pianos over the other because "it just felt right."

PS -- Were the Steinway knuckles REALLY 13/16 inch?  Or were they 13/32
inch?

Good luck --
ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI