Hammer Shank Sounds

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Fri, 05 Sep 1997 00:37:03 -0500

Was:  Re: The poor European's answer to the American piano GIANT

Ralph M Martin wrote:

> Hi Andre
>
> I know of a few guys who when installing new shanks, drop them
> individually on the workbench and separate them into different pitches.
> The high ones for the treble and very low sounds for the bass. While this
> makes some sense, I must admit that I don't do this. Maybe I will do this
> when I install the next set just to see.

Those of you who have seen Pris's and my class "Upright Damper and
Hammer Installation" may recall the method of separating a set of of
upright shanks into different sound types by dropping them on a hard
surface (concrete floor, hardwood workbench, etc.).  There are three
philosophies of "typing" the shanks:

1)  Those with high pitch go in the treble, middle pitch into the middle
and low pitch into the bass.

2)  Those with higher pitch are more dense.  They should go into the
bass.  Others go into the middle and treble.

3)  The heck with it.  Throw them on as they come out of the package.
(True - a bona fide possibility.)

Ralph apparently is a #3 man. :>

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas