(null)

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:33:19 -0400

Greg Newell wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:59:53 -0500, Leslie W Bartlett wrote:
>
> >Dear Lists
> >
> >Does anyone have experience using CA glue to tighten tuning pins AFTER
> >pin dope has been applied?  I tuned a Knabe upright that had the pins
> >doped some twenty years ago, according to owner, and now some of them are
> >loose enough they won't hold.  She doesn't want to buy a new piano. Might
> >even consider rebuilding the Knabe with new pinblock and everything. It
> >has sentimental value. Ugh.
> >

> >Does anyone on these lists know anyone in or near Leeds England who has
> >an e-mail?  I'm looking for a composer. Please respond to the privately.
> >
> >Thanks for the help.
> >

> >Leslie Bartlett
> >
> >lesbart@juno.com
> >

> Leslie,
>         The very first piano I "doped"with superglue was one that had pin tightener
> used in the past. It came out beautifully. To the best of my knowledge it must still be
> holding respectably after 1 year.
>                                         Greg Newell
> Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
> Greg's Piano Forte`
> Lakewood, Ohio 44107
> gnewell@en.com
Dear Greg & List:
This is another 'horror story'. A local person (mechanic, not a
technician, as you'll see) who likes to rebuild player mechanisms put
WD-40 on tuning pins, plate screws, and strings of an Ivers and Pond
upright to'slow down the rust'. Double ugh!  Did any of you ever see
this done, and/or try correcting the tuning pin situation with super
glue? If not, I might try the superglue treatment as an experiment. This
instrument also uses agraffes in place of a pressure bar. Will standard
agraffes fit, in your experience?

Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT
Hallett's Piano Service
dhalle@toolcity.net