Tech/Dealer Relationship

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 23:09:42 -0700

Greg:
	 The manufacturer must stand behind the warranty through the current
dealer in your area.  If you are the authorized technician for that
brand, you can get permission to do the work and get paid by the
manufacturer.  Since they refused, the only thing you can do is to ask
your customer if they can pay for the needed regulation and repairs.
That is, if the current dealer won't pay you to do it.  I suspect in
your situation, your client may have to sell the piano if he/she doesn't
like it, and doesn't want to pay for the needed work.  Another thing is
that moisture related problems don't come under the warranty, such as
tight flanges, sticky keys, etc.  I don't know if this is your case or
not.
	 At the store where I work, some of the pianos we sell could use more
careful regulation, but their price and profit margins don't warrant a
lot of time spent on them.  If they work ok, then we send them out.  Not
so for the S&S's.  We pay for contract technicians for them.
	Warranty work is sometimes a grey area.  We like to give the customer
the benefit of the doubt.  The return for the extra we give the customer
is referrals for new business.  We enjoy a good reputation, and we are
known for our good service.  The owner of the store that you work(ed)
for didn't understand the value of customer service and good referrals
for repeat business.  Music circles are very tight, and the word gets
around when the service after the sale is rotten.  But if the problem is
due to circumstances which surround the piano, ie. moving, spilling
something inside, etc., then the customer has to pay.
	I hope this helps.  Good luck.

	Paul McCloud, RPT
	San Diego, CA