No Subject There is now

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 12:35:40 -0500

----------
> From: JIMRPT@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: No Subject
> Date: Sunday, September 14, 1997 11:15 AM
> Dear Jim,
I have been building piano benches for several years now and I have found
that wood does pretty much what it wants to do in spite of your best
efforts for it not to.  I am speaking specifically about the glue lines in
glued up tops.  Sometimes it seems as if how well you saw it, joint it,
re-enforce it with mortis, tennons, biscuits, or splines it still has the
ability to do what it wants to do.
	 This morning I was able to continue putting my latest lid together.  I
last worked on it about 2 weeks ago when I ran the two pieces through the
jointer and had to stop for the night.  This morning after putting the two
pieces together again I noticed a gap in the middle.  Guess what? Back
through the jointer I had to go.  The darn stuff moves on you when your are
not looking.  So far I have noticed that no matter how well you plane to
equal thicknesses or carefully rout out the biscuit slots things can still
change on you and you wind up having to sand it to level.  Woodworking is a
big aggravation to my wits but I think that is the very thing that draws me
to it.  It not only is superior to my skill and intellect but can be tricky
so you have to be on guard all the time when working with it.  It
challenges me on all levels but when I get done and the project is
completed I can think to myself that I overcame all that was against me and
I fought the battle  to victory.  LONG LIVE WOOD.
	Actually, I am of the opinion that wood can crack even though it may be
screwed or glued to where it may be immovable; darndest thing that wood!
James Grebe
pianoman@inlink.com