glueing controversy

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:57:19 -0400

> by twisting the front rail pin the bearing surface is decreased.

I don't agree that turning front rail pins neccesarily increases wear,
but even so, turning is a temperary fix.

Turning a little exposes as much of the pin as if it were not turned
because the pin is an oval and would have to be turned close to 30
degrees before causing a problem, and when wear does occur by turning in
the opposite direction will give more use of the felt.

I like new felt because it is softer and much quieter, but if the pins
were polished and lubricated and the felt were lubricated with a Teflon
based lubricant then far more use of the felt may be had.

I know this is treading on sacred toes, but, like so many things,
intellegent use of resources and techniques can greatly extend
usefullness.

Please note, I prefer to do my own key bushing because I aim for the
perfect fit (not always attained).  I am extremely critical about key
bushings because they effect the performance of the entire action and
are the first impression of any  action.

As for the 'bushing tightener', I think of it as a bushwhacker and
should be critized before pin turning.

I have, for a long time, wished for a good debusher along the lines of
two paralell chisels in a drill press, with an alignment pin and
paralell fence along side (adjustable).  With the chuck arbor locked in
place a simple movement of the quill will remove the bushings, leaving
paralell sides thus providing perfect sizing for the intended felt and a
perfect gluing surface.

This kind of setup would be perfect for destroyed mortices and damaged
buttons.

Just wishing.

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com