Action spread

J Patrick Draine draine@tiac.net
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 12:07:39 -0400

Dear list:
When searching the pianotek archives regarding proper action spread, I find
4.44" ( 4 and 13/32") as the proper action spread for Steinway actions.

Is this the correct dimension for *all* grand actions?

I am troubleshooting a 70 year old Brewster (American-Aeolian) baby grand
that I partially rebuilt with prehung Brooks Ltd's Encore shanks and Abel
Lite hammers. The touchweight is too heavy; I know I can remove some weight
from the hammer moldings, but I'd like to be sure I've got the correct
geometry before I start removing wood.
The action is at the (justifiably) complaining customer's home (until
Tuesday), so I don't have exact weights & dimensions at hand.
Thanks
Patrick Draine