Capo bar noise

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 22:24:36 -0500

I asked about this a few months back.  I'm surprised that Baldwin has not
issued some statement of recommendation on this matter.  90% of the
Baldwins I see from the 70's and early 80's have this problem.  One of my
customers paid $800 to send her R back to the factory to correct the
problem and it was exactly the same.  They restrung it, but left the old
string marks on the capo bar,etc.

I got temporary results by filing the bar, but it came back.  I have
reduced some of it with a drop of glue or felt mute between the bar and the
plate ridge near the pins.  I suspect downbearing, but that's mostly
because it's the only thing I haven't tried.  It is so loud and annoying
that it renders the instrument useless on a few of my customer's pianos.
I've got SD-10s with it too.  I find the problem in Young Changs a lot
also.

It must be predominantly ONE common factor.  But what???

Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net