New SAT

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Fri, 26 Sep 97 18:46:58 -0500

C. Mike Swendsen wrote:

>My two bits worth......
>I have seen the RCT and I think it does some very nice things... the
>concerns that I have are these:
>1.  A notebook is too large to use comfortably, it will not sit on any
>ledge, lid etc on most vertical pianos.

Although using a notebook as a VTD does take some adjustments, a notebook
_will_ easily sit on many/most verticals.  I have found, although it may
_seem_ strange at first, that setting the notebook on a case on the floor
under the bass end of the keyboard is a very convenient, comfortable,
functional solution for those pianos that have no place to set a notebook.

>2. If you come into a house using a computer it doesn't look as
>professional as a dedicated electronic tuning device.

Actually, I have very much enjoyed the always-positive attention that a
notebook computer gets from customers.  When they notice the computer, I
say, "Yup, everything is computerized these days, even piano tuning."  I
think the computer can enhance our image, making us look very up-to-date.

>3.  If an enterprising customer thinks you are tuning, just using a
>computer he may think he can do it too, and download something and try
>it.... he just might be semi successful, or break something... In any
>case, it's not something I would like to see done.

Well, do-it-yourself-ers have always been a problem, and always will be.
When I see that a customer is thinking that way, I just say, "CyberTuner
is targeted at the professional piano technician, and is priced
accordingly."  They get the idea.

>4.  The notebooks need to have their batteries recharged after every 2-4
>hours of use. That means recharging every day at least once, probably
>twice...And that's while the batteries are new, when they start to loose
>their charge holding ability.....

There is no getting around this.  However, my present notebook and
battery are over a year old now, and the battery shows no signs yet of
weakness.  I have found that plugging in to AC is not quite as
undesirable as I first feared it might be.

>C. Mike Swendsen RPT

I have the info on the SAT III.  If nobody else posts it and there is
interest, I would be happy to see if it will scan so I can post it.

Kent Swafford