New SAT

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 17:10:31 -0700

C. Mike Swendsen wrote:

> My two bits worth......
> I have seen the RCT and I think it does some very nice things... the
> concerns that I have are these:
> 1.  A notebook is too large to use comfortably, it will not sit on any
> ledge, lid etc on most vertical pianos.

I haven't been in a house yet that didn't have a side chair or little
table to put at the bass end of the keyboard. Since I use a *jerk*
tuning hammer technique, I prefer to have the computer off of the
sometimes wiggling piano.

> 2. If you come into a house using a computer it doesn't look as
> professional as a dedicated electronic tuning device.

I don't know how a computer can look any less professional. If anyone is
not impressed, it might be that they're computer phobic.

> 3.  If an enterprising customer thinks you are tuning, just using a
> computer he may think he can do it too, and download something and try
> it.... he just might be semi successful, or break something... In any
> case, it's not something I would like to see done.

I don't just use a computer to tune. I also use my ears, a tuning
wrench, a mute and 25 years of experience. If someone thinks that they
can do it themselves, I'm happy to supply them with the basic tools. The
few times that's happened, I ended up with customers who had a little
more appreciation for what I do (and paid the bill gladly).

> 4.  The notebooks need to have their batteries recharged after every 2-4
> hours of use. That means recharging every day at least once, probably
> twice...And that's while the batteries are new, when they start to loose
> their charge holding ability.....

I carry my charging cord and an extension and normally operate the
computer with it plugged into the AC. Dean has a few batteries that can
be easily switched and charged in the car. Frequent recharging is the
price you pay for a great display (plus the ability to run your customer
database, calendar, or whatever).

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA