Reyburn CyberTuner

Mitch Kiel mitchkiel@olywa.net
Sun, 28 Sep 97 18:58:40 -0800

>Unless I am mistaken, I believe the Mac that is included in the Luna 1
>package has a 66 megahertz 040 processor. In regular computer terms, this
>would be considered an antique and pretty slow. The relavant question would
>be though, does the cybertuner program run slow on this notebook? Do you have
>to sit and wait for input to be processed, which can be maddening? Is there a
>perceptible difference in speed between the Luna 1 model and the Macs with
>Power PC processors?
>
>Dave Bunch

Dave,

     You're asking some very good questions.

     You're correct that the *relevant* question is, "Does RCT run slow on this notebook (the 280)?
Do you have to sit and wait for input to be processed?" The answer is a definite no. I find the 280
to be perfectly acceptable in running RCT. I've never been "maddened" waiting for RCT to do
anything on the 280.
    For example, it takes less than a half-second for the 280 to calculate a tuning from the
recorded samples (my 2300 does it in less than a quarter-second). Quick enough for ya?
    Most other RCT calculations are so quick that the slower speed of the 280 is unnoticeable.
The only exception I can think of is a slight delay in RCT's automatic NoteSwitcher, which
takes an few *tenths* of a second longer (seat-of-the-pants guess) to switch to the next
note (up or down). But this is not at all a hassle; it takes much more time than that for
me to move my tuning hammer to the next pin.

     Regarding your last question, "Is there a perceptible  difference in speed between the
Luna 1 model and the Macs with PPC processors?"
    The answer to your question is yes ‹ RCT runs faster on faster computers, as is to
be expected. But as I say above, the difference is very minor, in most cases unnoticeable,
and in any case doesn't detract one dram from RCT's coolness quotient.
    Regarding other applications: Word processors don't require much processor time,
and imo run just fine on a 280. On the other hand, if you like to run applications that
are processor-intensive such as PageMaker, Photoshop, complex Excel spreadsheets, etc,
you might prefer a faster computer such as the 2400. But at that point, we're no longer
comparing a RCT/280 PowerBook to an SAT, are we?

   Hope that helps.

To get random signatures put text files into a folder called ³Random Signatures² into your Preferences folder.