Tuning

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 23:32:46 -0700 (MST)

Hi again David:

If you are trying to tune a Pure 5ths Temperament, you will not have
beatless octaves. That is the main point.

since you mention that you have a SAT, if it has the FAC capability,
try adding an additional 1.5 cents to the A4 stretch number. On most
pianos of normal scaling, you will come out with pure 5ths. This is
how I discovered the Pure 5ths tuning. For example, if you measured
8.5 cents for the difference between the 4th and 2nd partials of A4,
and then added 1.5 before you store 9.0 cents as the stretch number for
A4, you will definitely get a wider octave A3 to A4. As you tune with
the machine, you will still get equal temperament, but it will be
stretched a little more.

If you reread my articles on Altering the
Stretch found in the April '97 thru July '97 issues of the PTJ, it will
become more clear to you and perhaps many others who are following this
thread of thought.

Jim Coleman, Sr.