advertising

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sat, 01 Aug 1998 12:08:56 -0400

I'm coming in late on this so I may be repeating something.  I live in
the Wahington DC metro area.  My best ads are in community association
newsletters.  For about $40, my ads go to 4000 homes.  I now advetise in
two such planned communities.

I run the ads during the school year and the ads at least pay for
themselves.  Usually, they do much, much better than that.  They have
been a good investment.

I have a small yellow page ad that does not bring in as much work as the
community association ads. I adverstise pre-purchase inspections,
tuning, and repair...get a few inspection jobs and tuning jobs...but I
am not sure if the yellow pages are worth it.

A chain of music stores in the area also gives out my business cards.
Those 5 stores have given me lots of work.

The real problem with this area is the transient nature of the
workforce.  People often live here for only a few years.  Sometimes this
helps. I recently got a referal from a naval officer in Norfolk, VA, a
big NAVY town.  I had tuned his piano when he lived here and he gave my
name to another officer who was moving here.  Another time, a naval
officer had me tune his piano, moved, then came back two years
later...he called me back last fall.

I think the real key to success is to somehow get hooked up with SERIOUS
piano players and then do good work. The successful tuners I know are
tuning high end painos almost exclusively.  Unfortunately, there's only
so many of these pianos to go around.

I'm lucky...besides tuning painos, I also get hi-dollar technical
writing contract work...more than I can keep up with at this point in
time.  This is good because the piano busines, for me is very slow in
the summer.

I wonder how many tuners are supplementing there piano income with other
work?  One RPT here has become a message therapist in order to make more
bucks.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member