sales tax

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 23:49:30 EDT

<< If you replace a hammer shank, you have sold them a part so you have to
 pay tax. Yes? No?  (assuming you pay taxes for sales , but not
 services.)

 How about a set of keytops?  Hammers?  Dampp Chaser?

 What we're really interested in is the ratio of service cost to
 'materials'cost and is the 'materials cost' sold as a stand alone item
 without installation and in sufficiently large numbers to make it
 worthwhile for both the State and you to pay attention.

 Doubt it.  Unless you're selling pianos.

 Carl

Technically, if the state in which you live charges sales tax on materials,
(parts, etc. ) but not service, then every little thing you "sell" a customer
has to be taxed. You will see this in the car repair busines, plummers,
electricians, etc.

In my business, I seldom tax anything under $50 dollars worth of material. A
set of key tops, bridle straps, strings, etc, are all non taxed. I do charge
tax on a set of hammers, a set of bass strings, a pin block, etc. These are
items than can easily be seperated out.

In MO, if you don't have a business licence, you don't have to get a sales tax
licence. If you  want a sales tax licence, you have to have a business
licence. So you can either play by the "rules", or you can cheat, (did I say
that?) and get away with not colecting sales tax.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis