No Subject/Dolgeville NY

Robert B Edwardsen edwardsn@rpa.net
Mon, 03 Aug 1998 06:13:10 -0400

Hi Jim:

I didn't realize this was a two part test.

He not only made hammers, he also made hammer presses.  There used to be some
here at the Aeolian factory, massive machines for making cold press hammers.  I
saved one of his hammers with Dolge stamped on the side from a hammer replacement
job.

He also wrote to books: "Pianos and Their Makers" and "Men who made Piano
History" and was  a 19th century super industrialist's who lived by that old
fashion Capitalist Theme: Make as much money as you can, save as much as you can,
and then give as much as you can.

"Pianos and Their Makers" opens with one of my favorite quotes of Francis Bacon:
I hold every man a debtor to his profession; from the which men of course do seek
to receive countenance and profit, so ought they of duty endeavor themselves by
way of amends to be a help and ornament thereto."

Rob Edwardsen, RPT