Interesting Ad

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 03 Aug 1998 15:07:15

Dear David,

Glad to have you back. Been missing you in the chat room.

My mother and sister live in Colorado. The important thing to remember
about humidity questions there is that _it's dry >>all<< the time_! It
doesn't cycle. Take a good healthy piano out there before it has compression
ridges and suchlike, and once it adjusts it will just sit there dry,
happy as a clam. My Mom's 1934 7 foot Baldwin, for instance, came to
Colorado a long time ago. She has it in a place I could never recommend,
opposite tall west-facing windows. (Well, there wasn't a good place for it
in the room.) She closes the drapes most afternoons, but still ... Yet the
board is perfect. No signs of "killer dryness." No loose screws, nothing.
It's almost like putting a piano in a time capsule.

I'd never add moisture to a Colorado piano. I might put a dampp-chaser with
a humidistat in a piano which lived in an unheated Colorado church, but not
the bucket, etc.

Anyone else have other ideas?

Susan

At 04:39 PM 8/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
>We just returned from a 2 week trip to Colorado ( Lots of relatives, nice
>weather, mountains, relatives, driving, relaxation, relatives, and did I
>mention relatives?  :-)  )
>
>While in Denver, I spotted this classified ad in the Rocky Mountain News
>for Monday 7/27/98, page 73E.
>
>"BLACK LACQUER KAWAI; upright, has string humidifier.  $3000.00.  Call
>xxx-xxxx"
>
>I guess I didn't realize how dry it gets in Denver if you have to have a
>humidifier to keep the strings from getting too dry!  Obviously this person
>has no idea why their piano has a Dampp-Chaser humidity control system
>installed.  Here is an opportunity for a piano technician in Denver to do
>extra customer education!
>
>Glad to be back!
>David
>

>David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
>Joplin, Missouri
>dkvander@clandjop.com

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Getting there is only half as far as getting there and back."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant