E-main virus danger

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 22:05:26 -0500

http://www.ncsa.com/services/consortia/anti-virus/alerthoax.html

Check this before worrying about "virus alerts"  most are hoaxes.  Plus if
it IS real, and 99.9 percent are NOT, it gives emergency precautions, and
urls to get fixes.

PASTED from above WEB SITE

_
Why Hoax Pages, they're not viruses right ?

The ICSA virus lab serves many functions. Not only do we certify antivirus
products, we are also a source of reliable independent information. This
means that we are in no way associated with any vendor of any anti-virus
product.

Our lab techs field virus help calls all day long. A good portion of them
have to deal with these hoaxes and we realized that as an information
provider we had little to no information like this on our web site. We
gathered the techs together and drew up these pages and did some major
house cleaning on the other virus related pages here at ICSA.

Let me make it clear We don't want to cause alarm with the notification of
_any_ new virus, that's not our job. [We'll leave that to the vendors
;-)]. These Hoax pages are simply to inform you of notices that are
circulating and the status of those notices (whether they are a problem or
not), along with some background information, as to the source (if known)
and original text of the message.

So the next time someone sends a "virus alert"  do'em a favor, send them
this back.

Richard the Moody