Cleaning brass

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 03 Aug 1998 20:55:33 -0700

Clyde:
	As Keith suggested, Brasso will work well.  But I have another
alternative which works well with even less effort.  I assume you don't
have the lacquer coating on the brass, in which case I recommend using
acetone to remove it (careful near finish).  The product is Brite-Boy.
It has a lot of ammonia in it, and it works without much rubbing.  It
doesn't have the staying power of Brasso (parts tarnish faster than with
Brasso), but you can just wipe it on and it cleans immediately again.
Brasso has some kind of oil that protects the finish when you're done.
But Brasso has a lot of rouge in it, and you have to use more elbow
grease to make things shine.  I use both, actually.  Especially for
fallboard letters, use Brite-Boy.  It will not alter the surrounding
finish, make it dull or shiny.  Just wipe any excess away.  You can get
it at most hardware stores.
	Paul McCloud