Short Tips ??

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Tue, 04 Aug 1998 07:59:55 -0400

The trade-off is between head length and angle.  I would leave the tip
length a constant, since the different tips I use are not avaiable in
different lengths.  The tips I use are:  #2 for some older European
pianos with tuning pins smaller than the standard modern #2 (you can
tell by the sloppy feel), #3 for most tuning work, #4 for tuning the
occassional repinned piano.  You can also use a thin wall tip which is
necessary for a few console pianos where the pins are too close together
in the low tenor section.  Instead, I use an insert that fits into the
standard tip.

The shortest head available with the most acute angle is the extra short
with a 5 degree head.  This works for 99% of all vertical pianos.  For
grands, I use an extra short with a 15 degree head.  This gives the best
possible control and will work for 95% of the pins.  For the remaining
5%, move the hammer so the handle points towards the bridges, out of the
way of the plate struts and cases parts or, in extreme cases  switch to
a longer head.

I am envious of tuners who are ambidextrous.  Plate struts are easily
avoided and you reduce wear and tear on your shoulder.

Carl