E-main virus danger

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 04 Aug 1998 08:20:11 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Richard,

   I agree that most "alerts" are hoaxes. The e-mail "potential" problem
that Warren and I both posted about are not. I still have the information
about it that I offered if you would like it. It's about 12K long so I
won't post it unless someone requests it.
   Thanks for reminding people of this and posting the URL.

Averyh

>http://www.ncsa.com/services/consortia/anti-virus/alerthoax.html
>
>Check this before worrying about "virus alerts"  most are hoaxes.  Plus if
>it IS real, and 99.9 percent are NOT, it gives emergency precautions, and
>urls to get fixes.
>

>PASTED from above WEB SITE

>_
>Why Hoax Pages, they're not viruses right ?
>

>The ICSA virus lab serves many functions. Not only do we certify antivirus
>products, we are also a source of reliable independent information. This
>means that we are in no way associated with any vendor of any anti-virus
>product.
>
>Our lab techs field virus help calls all day long. A good portion of them
>have to deal with these hoaxes and we realized that as an information
>provider we had little to no information like this on our web site. We
>gathered the techs together and drew up these pages and did some major
>house cleaning on the other virus related pages here at ICSA.
>
>Let me make it clear We don't want to cause alarm with the notification of
>_any_ new virus, that's not our job. [We'll leave that to the vendors
>;-)]. These Hoax pages are simply to inform you of notices that are
>circulating and the status of those notices (whether they are a problem or
>not), along with some background information, as to the source (if known)
>and original text of the message.

>So the next time someone sends a "virus alert"  do'em a favor, send them
>this back.
>
>Richard the Moody

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music                     (__)
University of Houston                      (oo)        Mathematical Cow
Houston, TX 77204-4893            /---------\/     (Developer of cow-culus)
713-743-3226                     / | x=a(b)||
713-743-3226                    *  ||------||
atodd@uh.edu                       ~~      ~~
http://www.music.uh.edu/