The Seventh Dragon

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 04 Aug 1998 09:24:48 -0500 (CDT)

Rose & list,

   I'd never heard of this book before. I found it with a search at:
http://www.amazon.com

Avery

>Does anyone know how I could get a copy of "The Seventh Dragon"? I'm just
>curious and I really don't want to spend a lot of money (I'm a starving
>recent grad of North Bennet).  Perhaps someone out there has a used copy
>they'd be willing to part with for cheap?
>
>Thanks...
>Rose Emery
>Watertown, MA
>REE15@juno.com

The Seventh Dragon: The Riddle of Equal Temperament
by Anita T. Sullivan
Our Price: $12.95

Hardcover (September 1986)
Metamorphous Press; ISBN: 0943920221

Reviews From Independent Publisher

The riddle of the Seventh Dragon in japanese folklore is that he is the only
one who is never visible. His task is listening, and as Sullivan states in
The Seventh Dragon: The Riddle of Equal Temperament, "Perhaps he never shows
up because his visible self is constantly consumed in the act of hearing."
Perhaps so, but Sullivan's own intellect and questioning perspective is
plainly visible in this wonderful book - a book which may have begun as an
investigation into the history and science of piano tuning but which grew
into a philosophical probing of ratio, harmony, paradox, balance, wisdom
and beauty. As with most good pieces of writing, there are many levels of
meaning in Sullivan's slim volume.

One level reflects the precise and exacting maneuvers of the piano tuner at
work, attempting to bring the instrument to a state of "equal temperament,"
the tuning system we have employed in the Western world for the last 150
years. While other tuning systems have been used, all are ultimately based
on the relationships of beats. "These 'beats' are a way of measuring the
degree of purity or harmony ... When all the intervals in the center are
properly balanced, [the piano tuner] then tunes by octaves, outwards
towards
the bass and
treble extremes of the keyboard. The result is not perfect symmetry, nor a
collection of pure intervals, it is a balance - a compromise."

A second level appears in the short but poetic "Tuner's Monologue" which
introduces most of the chapters in this book. As the tuner attempts to
achieve an equal temperament on the piano, her inner ear and eye respond to
the struggle. "We must come to an understanding, this piano and L . . A
test all the possibilities, and settle on the one which is in the piano's
heart. "Sullivan manages to turn piano tuning into a mystical search for
balance without losing a certain pragmatism which enriches yet restrains
the piece itself. "As you tune your unison, and you hear the beats
gradually slowing down, there comes a place where they are too slow to
count any more.. . . You are listening in a different way than ever before.
You have stopped counting. You have stopped hearing with just your cars.
You have stopped.. . . And I think the piano's song is right there, in the
falling-in place, which is the final tempering." With critical questions
and splendid, rich metaphors, Anita Sullivan has succeeded in constructing
a rare combination of philosophy and literature. Winner of the 1986 Western
States Book Award for Creative Nonfiction, The Seventh Dragon challenges
the reader to re-vision many assumptions we often take for granted, and as
humans, we are nourished by the process.

The author, Anita T. Sullivan (anita@proaxis.com), 08/07/97
Piano tuning combines art and science. I'm a piano tuner and I wrote this
book to try to figure out the bizarre process of "setting a temperament",
which is where you begin when you tune a piano. It turns out that what the
piano tuner does on the piano is a kind of miniature version of the whole
history and philosophy of "Western" music.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music                  (__)
University of Houston                   (oo)        Mathematical Cow
Houston, TX 77204-4893         /---------\/     (Developer of cow-culus)
713-743-3226                  / | x=a(b)||
713-743-3226                 *  ||------||
atodd@uh.edu                    ~~      ~~
http://www.music.uh.edu/