computers

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 09:32:52 -0700

Dick,

It all depends.

If you have power management working well, and if you have fax software
running or something like that so you have a reason to leave it on, then
feel free - the power management in Windows 98 (if working!) (and Macs
too, I think) lowers the power in the CPU, turns off the hard drives and
monitor, and makes the computer use very little power and generate very
little heat when idle.

If you don't need it on, then turn it off! SAVE THE EARTH! ;-)

If you do leave it on, most modern bloated operating systems work better
if reset occasionally. At the office where I am using the computer
heavily, it stays on all the time to receive faxes and E-mail, but I
reboot it daily to clear the memory out and prevent crashes. Some
software doesn't clean up after itself very well.

Don Mannino

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/ms-tnef