whitening hide glue question

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 12:57:45 EDT

List,

My apologies if this has already been discussed but.....

I'm about to reattach some ivory heads with hide glue.  I want to use the
titanium dioxide powder to whiten the glue, but I am wondering at what point
does the addition of too much whiting affect the strength of the glue to where
it is unsuitable for the job.  It seems to me that I've added a lot already,
but I don't think the glue is white enough yet.

(BTW, I do have Jim Harvey's post on making ivory wafers.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine