pianotech-digest V1997 #1016

Jory A. Olson jory@teleport.com
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 23:36:13 -0700

I'm an electrical engineer and terrible pianist.  There was a time that =
computer manufacturers recommended leaving your computer on all the =
time.  The temperature cycling that occurs when the computer is turned =
on (and warms up) and off (and cools down) was a major cause of computer =
failures.  Nowadays, I think most computers from the major manufacturers =
are probably robust enough to turn off.  In fact, some people think =
leaving the computer on, and the hard disk spinning, can result in =
premature hard disk failure.

Another thing to consider is the environmental impact of leaving your =
computer on.  Seems like a big waste to me.

I personally turn my computer off and use the best UPS and power line =
conditioner money can buy.  I also had a "whole house" AC surge =
protector installed at the main breaker box.  I do not unplug any of my =
appliances and have never had a lightning or surge related failure.  The =
IT department at work asks that everybody turn off his or her computer =
when leaving.  They obviously figure the power savings outweigh the risk =
of computer failure.

Jory