Wild strings in new pianos

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:53:43 -0700

Hi Ted,

I wrote another reply in response to Roberto's re-post on this subject.
Since you had already tried the other things I wrote about, I wanted to
mention again that you try muting off ALL open strings that might be
vibrating sympathetically.  Some of the best pianos sound horribly false
in the top octave because they have so many open strings (Aliquot scale,
etc) which vibrate.

Kawai often hears this complaint on our low cost consoles because the
strings below the bridge are long and not felted. I have had technicians
snort derisively at me for suggesting such a thing, but when they mute
the strings (after tapping them down at the bridge), the apparent
falseness in the treble vanishes.

Don Mannino

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available