Wild strings in new pianos

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:42:37 -0700

Roberto,

The most common causes of false beats in the treble in new pianos are:

1. Strings need to be seated down on the bridge
2. The strings are not straight from the bridge pin to the tuning pin.
3. Open strings elsewhere are vibrating sympathetically and creating
beats.

For the first, lightly tap the string in the speaking length next to the
bridge. A soft brass tool is ideal for this to prevent marking the wire,
and a light tap with a light plastic hammer is enough. You can usually
see the string move down a little if you watch closely.

For the second, try re-spacing the wire at the V-bar or Capo bar so that
the string makes a straight line from the bridge pin all the way to the
tuning pin. This eliminates many false beats.

For the third, try muting the strings below / behind the bridge, at
least temporarily. When hearing falseness in the top 6 or 7 notes, also
try muting the strings one octave below. For instance, tuning G7 very
often makes G6 vibrate (if there is no damper), and since your 2:1
octave is likely wide enough to beat a little, you will hear a "False"
beat. Mute the lower note and you will be able to tune the unisons very
cleanly in the top octave.

Although damaged wire can certainly cause false beats, most new piano
makers are pretty careful not to damage it when stringing. You can
suspect the wire on the occasional bad note, but it would not likely be
a general trend over many notes.

Don Mannino RPT
Kawai America

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...