service problems.

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Thu, 06 Aug 1998 14:44:10 -0500

Dear Andy,

Here are some thoughts:

Example... Suppose that I buy an old 60 or 70 year old Buick and it is in
relatively good shape when I buy it.  Now suppose 7 years later, I still
did not even have the oil changed, did not check the radiator fluid, did
not check the transmission fluid, did not check the belts and hoses, etc.
Now after neglecting my car for so long, I go and have the oil changed.  On
the way home the head cracks.  Whose fault is it?  I can't blame the person
who sold me the car.   I might have a very remote chance of blaming the oil
change person, but unless they did something wrong, it is much more
probable that the head just cracked because it is an old car.

Questions:

1.  Did you give him a warranty when you sold the piano?  Was the warranty
for 6 or 7 years?  Remember, this is a used piano, and unless there was a
warranty, he bought the piano as-is... any service problems are his.

2.  You last saw the piano 6 or 7 years ago.  Recently, the piano is in a
"controlled environment".  How do you know the environment is "controlled"?
 Did you take Relative Humidity readings with a sling psychrometer or a
digital hygrometer?  Even in a supposedly "controlled" environment, the
humidity will swing back and forth, and the only way to tell is to measure
it.  And even if the piano is now in a "controlled environment", how do you
know where it was for the previous 6 or 7 years?  Suppose the piano got
stored outside or in a barn?  I am not berating you, just simply pointing
out some things to ponder.

Remember, unless a piano is in a truly controlled environment, or unless
some type of humidity control system (i.e. a conplete Dampp-Chaser Piano
Life-Saver System) is installed in the piano, the piano will change pitch
and go out of tune as each season brings humidity changes.  For example,
suppose that the piano is in a "controlled environment" and was tuned
precisely at A-440 in January.  Now it is August, and I would not be
surprised to see that same piano 20 to 25 cents sharp in pitch because of
the summer humidity increase.  It is possible that the piano is sharp just
because of weather changes.  That could also explain the piano being out of
tune with itself.
No, I don't get any commision from Dampp-Chaser for the plug!  :-)

3.  If the man had his piano serviced regularly by a _competent_
technician, this may never have happened.  Part of my service at each
tuning is to examine the soundboard and bridges to check for problems and
to monitor the condition of the piano.  If the technician had tuned his
piano regularly and had examined the piano, then the piano owner could be
alerted to potential problems before they develop.  If I noticed the bridge
cracking, I would not pitch raise and tune without pointing out the problem
to the owner and letting him know what may happen.  And then if I did pitch
raise and tune and the bridge cracked, it is not my fault, because I gave a
warning about the probability of it happening.

Andy, don't kick yourself.  You are not responsible.  Old pianos fall
apart.  Bridges crack, strings break, etc. and you are not responsible.  If
the owner of the piano didn't even care enough about his piano to get it
tuned and inspected regularly, how likely is it that he would take out the
action and the bellows to inspect it himself?

Remember, even if this were a new piano (Which it isn't), the warranty
would have expired 2 years ago.  The responsibility is his.  Don't let him
"guilt" you into assuming responsibilty.

Best Wishes!

David V.