computers

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Fri, 07 Aug 1998 17:15:26 -0400

conrad hoffsommer wrote:

> At 15:03 8/7/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >kam544@earthlink.net wrote:
> >>
> >> Does your computer not have a back-up battery when you unplug?  If it does,
> >> and it's not keeping your clock set, you might want to consider puttin a
> >> new one in.
> >>
> >> Keith McGavern>
> >
> >However, if the machine is off for two weeks while on vacation, a small
> >cell battery won't last.
> >
> >Frank Cahill
>
> Au contraire, I think.  My machine was off for almost 5 weeks and came back
> on with correct time and date. I haven't gone searching for the battery in
> mine either, but whatever is there did just fine.
>
> Conrad
>
> Conrad Hoffsommer               Office - (319) 387-1204
> Luther College                         Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
> 700 College Drive
> Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045             hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu
>
> Ignorance doesn't kill you, but it will make you sweat a lot. - Haitian proverb

You know, I think you are absolutely correct!

I just didn't have my thinking cap on today! If the battery is just
backing up a small circuit, it could last a long time.  I have some
electronic equipment in my basement that is software driven and it's
been running on the same batteries for over a year.

I have to admit I'm not too saavy about computer hardware.  My
background is in telephone type of hardware, battery back up systems,
and  emergency generators.

Be hey, the comments are good 'cuz I never thought about going into the
old computer which I plan to give away.  I think I'll replace the
battery before I get rid of it.

I love this internet stuff!
--

Frank Cahill