basic questions

Eliot Lee elee@amug.org
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 23:19:10 -1000

Hi all,

	Usually I file grooved hammers, but I don't really know why, just
that everyone says so.  Doesn't it affect the hammer flange pins in some
way?  Can deep grooves come out with steam or fabric softener?

	Also at Don Mannino's class at the California State convention he
mentioned doing a complete repinning of hammer flanges. What should the
gram resistant weight be?  I bought a reversable balance scale and don't
know what constitutes the optimum weight for hammer flanges, or wippen
flanges.  I know one way of testing is to let the hammer free fall 4-6
times, but would like to use the guage since i have it.  What amount of
variance in gram weight resistance is acceptable?

Thanks,

Eliot

"You are never alone or helpless, the force that guides the stars, guides
you too." - P.R. Sarkar