older Steinway whippens

David McCord david@gv.net
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 00:16:11 -0700

List, Jon, Wim, Me, Keith, and Susan ...

This is an interesting controversy, and one that each must decide for
him/herself. Probably there is no "correct" answer. It reflects our own
personal life's values and agendas.

I view these classic Steinways in different category from most pianos,
along with the Stradivarius', Rembrandt's, Picasso's, etc - the classic art
of our civilization. These were among the finest pianos ever built, and
should be treated carefully. In my admittedly prejudiced opinion, the
present owners are merely the temporary guardians, and mankind - the owner,
of these treasures. They have the responsibilty to guard their value and
condition. If unable to fulfill their responsibility as a guardian of an
art treasure, they should relinquish their guardianship to another, more
capable individual. Few would have trouble accepting this philosophy in the
case of a classic painting or Stradivarius. From an historical perspective,
this is a well accepted viewpoint.

Susan, Keith, Jon, I could easily agree with you regarding an ordinary
instrument. But, a Steinway is a special case.

Some may notice a seeming contradiction in my position - replacing old
whippens with new. I believe that it is correct to replace old,
deteriorated parts with new ones of equal or better quality, in the same
way classic paintings are carefully restored - with "new" paint.

Regards,
David McCord