Voicing Steinway-need sustain!

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:05:38 -0500

Greetings my fellow keyboard pecking friends.  I just moved my shop and
family and am nearly back in business.  I do not recommend moving.

I have a customer with a five year old B in need of sustain in the lower
treble section.  He first needed volume, I added hardener to the low
shoulders, got the volume and clarity on the attack, but the sound drops
off immediately and we have no sustain on several of the notes.  I will
next check the strike point in that area, although the high notes are
right.  When I voice Abel hammers, I stick the needle deep down the
shoulder along the molding for sustain, but was reluctant to try the same
on the Steinway hammer.  Any suggestions?
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net