older Steinway wippens

J Patrick Draine draine@tiac.net
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:18:03 -0500

Dear list:
I'm preparing a work estimate for a customer with a 1902 Steinway B which
had been rebuilt in the 1960s. Teflon bushing style hammer flanges and
shanks and new hammers (which now just need moderate filing) were installed
over the original, old style wippen. This is the wippen which has no jack
position regulating screw, relying only on the felt in the balancier window
to set the jack position relative to the knuckle. Those felt pieces were
not replaced, although the wippen cushions may have been.
The rep lever grooves are a bit gunky, and the spring tension not
sufficient to lift the hammers.
In addition, the hammer rail cloth is rather spongy; hammers move alot when
the flange screws are tightened.
I was originally called for an insurance estimate, but they are also
interested in getting the piano into better condition.
While the piano is fairly functional as-is, it is pretty far "off specs"
(ie hammer shanks on rest cushions, wide drop, etc). I'm wondering how much
of a morass I'll be getting myself into if I attempt to do the best I can
by regulating these parts, without selling them on a complete action
rebuild (new hammers, shanks & flanges, new wippens, etc).
Any comments/suggestions?
Thanks,
Patrick Draine